Modest Coffee recognizes that businesses can have a negative impact on the environment. We are committed to finding ways in which we can reduce the impact of our work, both at our roastery and in the way we live our lives. We are a Platinum Status member of the Green Business Bureau, are in the process of becoming Fair Trade certified, and we maintain a direct trade relationship with a certified B-Corp.
It is our policy to:
- Use of environmentally sustainable packaging for our products. We use home-compostable bags for our whole bean coffee and biodegradable products for our brewed coffee.
- Purchase coffee from farms that grow coffee using sustainable practices that are good for the environment and the communities in which the coffee is grown.
- Offer discounted pricing to those who bring their own container, both for brewed coffee and whole bean coffee.
- Make available coffee chaff and spent coffee grounds as compost to the community.
- Reduce waste through the use of reusable containers and utensils within our facility for customers, employees, and production.
- Recycle as much waste material as possible.
- Avoid the use of paper wherever possible. We send invoices and other communication and documents via email or other electronic means.
- Recycling equipment that is no longer of use to the company and buying equipment used whenever possible.
- Keep energy usage low by making use of low energy light bulbs throughout our facility, making use of programmable thermostats, and ensuring that computers are shut down after work.
- Reuse waste paper (from the printer) where possible, making use of the blank side for notes etc.
- Purchase products made with recycled paper.
- Purchase products with a lower environmental impact. For example, we use environmentally safe soaps and detergents.
- Encourage water conservation practices within our facility.
- Use low impact transport for travel to and from work and for work related activities. For example, we drive an electric vehicle to work and make sure employees have access to an outlet if they choose to drive an electric car with portable charger. We make deliveries in an electric vehicle whenever possible.
Additionally, we believe that in order to be sustainable we must also consider the quality of life of those that work for Modest Coffee. That is why as a company we have taken a Living Wage Pledge and pay our employees a minimum of $15 per hour. To read our wage transparency statement please follow this link.